I'm having a tough time generally, not just equine related.
But with Red too. I feel like we're getting nowhere and feel if anything I'll be left with a horse with no potential when in reality he has MOUNDS of potential, just I can't bring it out in him.
I'm struggling massivley financially, I have more going out my bank this month than will go in purely in car insurance (£400) and phone bill (£600) this doesn't happen monthly thank god, but generally I am struggling financially month on month.
I need to start thinking about moving out, and this is impossible with paying for Red.
Maybe I jumped in too soon and in reality I simply can't afford it. I can afford him in a good month but with things like car ins, big expensives I struggle - there is no way I'd be able to move out and keep Red.
So I'm thinking is it time to give up the fight and sell him on, it'd break my heart cause I love him but in a way maybe its best for both of us? (Me financially and him in education?)
I certainly know how hard it is and we have struggled so much recently. I'm letting my horse of 10 years go tomorrow so hopefully without the cost of keeping her we can crawl out of the hole we have dug ourselves into.
Only you can decide whats best for you but there is no shame in letting him go this time so at some point in the future you'll be in a better position to start over.
"everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing it is stupid" Albert Einstein
aww hugs to you hun i let our boy go because i wernt able to ride him....he is doing a dressage test on saturday i hear all about what he gets upto and he looks soo happy with hindsight i should have loaned him out and had him back when i felt i was able to ride him i am having riding lessons... but at least i get to know how he is broke my ****** heart when he went i just did without hols and fancy clothes for our boy he was worth it a trip to the farm is like a holiday anyway lol good luck with what ever you decide Xx
The £600 phone bill is a massive one off so I definitely wouldn't let this months/whatever month you payed it ins finances guide you. Can you phone your mobile company and see if you can pay it in instalements, maybe explain that you had to use your phone abroad to sort out holiday things - if it's a one off and you always pay on time they maybe able to help you.
Other than that I'd definitely think about getting a sharer, both to help with the costs and his schooling - there are plenty of people out there who are very capable riders but just dont have the time/money for a horse of their own, look at how much Mairis brought Spike on it the time she's had him, if you found someone like that then it could really work to both your advantages!
Don't give up, I went through a similar dilemma at Christmas and got as far as putting an advert up for the boys but then realised that I would do anything to keep them. If you really want it you'll find a way of making it happen!
I would definately at least think about a sharer, as was said above only you can know how you truel feel about it all.
If there is a little part of you that feels as though given a chance you could learn from him and with him and teach him if you had a little bit of help. If a sharer is going to help you out in the long run and enable you to move out then I would be looking at trying for a sharer. There's never any harm in trying. Fast forward however many months, could you see yourself looking back and thinking what if??
If you can then think seriously about a sharer, if there is one bit of you that doesn't want to sell him then really take into consideration about a sharer. There are alot of people out there as was said above that are more than capable but just can't afford the time a money of a horse to themselves and they would jump at a chance like this.
Selling isn't the only option, it's just one that is a quick fix if he is sold quickly.